Did You Know That Cooking Is The #1 Cause Of Fires?
You can do a lot to prevent kitchen fires and protect your home from a smoke or fire damage. Although you can’t remove every possible source of a kitchen fire, you can minimize fire risks by removing hazards and maintaining your kitchen. Follow these prevention tips to keep your kitchen safe:
- Keep appliances serviced, clean, and in good repair. Dump the crumb tray and clean out the toaster crumbs periodically from the toaster or toaster oven. Wipe out the microwave. Clean the oven. Unplug any appliances that start acting funny, then have them repaired or replace them.
- Unplug electric appliances when not in use. Toaster ovens, mixers, coffee makers, and so on, continue to draw electricity even when they’re not turned on. So if the wiring is old or faulty, or if the thermostat overheats, a fire could break out.
- Install a smoke detector near, but not in the kitchen. You don’t want the small amount of smoke or steam that cooking sometimes generates to constantly trigger the alarm — but you do want it to sense an actual kitchen fire.
- Use caution when lighting the pilot light or burner on a gas stove. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions
- Don’t use metal in the microwave. The sparks can turn into fire or can seriously damage your microwave.
- Don’t overfill pots or pans with oil or grease. The hot oil or grease, like in this figure, can splatter and cause a fire.
- Wipe up spills and don’t cook on a dirty stove. Grease buildup is flammable. A clean stove is a fire-free stove.
- Always roll up long sleeves and tie back long hair when cooking. You don’t need your beautiful flowing silk sleeves trailing in the spaghetti sauce, and you certainly don’t need to catch on fire!
- Never leave cooking food unattended. Stand by your pan, especially if you’re cooking in grease or if the oven is at a very high heat. Turn off the burner or oven if you need to leave the house or get caught up in a phone call.
- Keep dish towels, pot holders, and paper towels away from the stove. You might have left a burner on by accident, and built-up heat could ignite combustibles left near or on the stove or oven.
- Turn pot handles toward the back of the stove. That way no one can bump them or pull them over.
- Keep a pan lid or baking sheet nearby. Use it cover the pan if it catches on fire to put the fire out.
- Supervise your young chef’s! I totally encourage teaching your kids to cook, but never leave them unsupervised while they are cooking.
If you should experience a smoke or fire damage in your home or business 24Restore’s highly trained Team is here for you 24 Hours a day and 365 days a year. NO job is too small or too large.
~ The People ~ The Equipment ~ The Expertise ~