It’s Fire Prevention Week!
In a fire, seconds DO count. Seconds can make the difference of escaping safely and seconds can make a huge difference in salvaging your home and all of your belongings.
That’s why the National Fire Protection Association this year’s theme for Fire Prevention Week is “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!” It reinforces why everyone needs to have an escape plan.
- Draw a map of your home with all members of your household, marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Close doors behind you as you leave – this may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
- Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.
You can download a grid from the NFPA website to help you draw the map of your home.
~ The People ~ The Equipment ~ The Expertise ~