Spring-Cleaning Tips For Home Safety
I am being hopeful that we are officially past what they refer to in Minnesota as ‘fools’ spring! This is such a weird time for everyone and I have been extra thankful for the decent temperatures we have had so far during the quarantine.
Speaking of nice temps and quarantine, the week ahead looks very nice and this is a perfect opportunity to get some spring-cleaning and maintenance done.
Here are 5 easy home safety tips to help prevent water damage or fire damage in your Minneapolis home.
- Check your roof for missing shingles or any exterior damage. Pay special attention to shingles that surround skylights, vents and chimneys.
- Clean your gutters at least once per year by removing debris and rinsing them out with a garden hose. Check that your gutters are properly affixed to your fascia boards and replace any sections that appear to be damaged or leaking.
- Check your water heater for leaks or corrosion. Inspect both the top and bottom of the water heater, looking and listening for drips and leaking water.
- Check your electrical outlets for potential fire hazards, such as frayed wires or loose-fitting plugs. Replace missing or broken wall plates so wiring is not exposed. If an outlet is not working, it may be an indicator of unsafe wiring.
- Remove dead trees and shrubs. Make sure branches are trimmed away for utility lines.
If you notice any water damage or storm damage during your spring cleaning quarantine, call 24Restore for an assessment. We are an Essential Service Provider which means our team is still here for you 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
~ the people ~ the equipment ~ the expertise ~